Saturday, February 2, 2008

after a long absence.... i AM back!

Things have been hectic, I'll admit. Matt and I went babysitting last night and didnt manage to squeeze in our weekly pizza and a movie. We were missing some cheese. So Matt made us some grilled cheese sandwiches and watched bones.
Matt went to the hill today to so some teaching. He got a lift with Pat and Tyler. Tyler came to get Matt while Pat waited at the bottom of the hill. His car just couldn't make it up the slippery hill and he even had a VW! So I had the car which was totally new for me. It worked out well since we were in dire need of groceries. I wasnt so excited when I got outside. The car had a nice sheet of ice all over it. It didn't even look like I could actually penetrate it. After twenty minutes I finally had the car all cleaned off and I ventured out onto the crusty roads. I made it to the store in one piece and armed with my list I got everything I needed I even managed to get the last chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. I found the checkout that had the shortest line, got everything through. I swiped my card to pay... it wouldnt work... it wouldn't work. So the supervisor suggested I try the bak machine. That didnt work either. At this point I felt like those groceries were MINE! I had driven there on the crusty roads. I had carefully had chosen everything. Ran back through the store for the things on my list I had missed (I know I had a list) got the LAST cookie dough ice cream. Then this lady is standing there telling ME that there is nothing that she could do... I could wait to see if my bank would come back online. But NOTHING. I was almost going to cry. This was horrible. Then this man came up... I think he was behind the guy who was behind me in the check out line. He asked if the machine worked and I said no. He said he would pay for the groceries and I could pay him back. Then I really almost cried, instead I said thanks like a billion times. I am going to pay him back tonight and I think I will make a nice thank you card. All I have is his phone number though. He doesnt have mine or anything, he doesnt even know what my name is... and he did that for me. I could walk away and he would never know. I thought that was pretty nice... even if he was a stranger.
Then I went home.. made it in one peice. Called Matt to tell him what happened and he thought I was calling because I was in an accident. whoops... another gray hair. Made some muffins and then Steph and Jefta came over for some pizza and some chatting. It was really nice to hang out.
At this point I have 24 muffins that are waiting to be individually wrapped and put in the freezer, my apartment hasnt been dusted yet... but Matt has mid terms this week so I have lots of time. So that was my week. I had another good story to tell but I think I already told one and I really should go. When I have nothing to write about this week, since I have no where to be I may do that. I really want to see the movie 27 dresses. But everyone here has already seen it or they have to study for mid terms. Im actually thinking of going by myself, but we'll see. Love ya lots. Ill be back soon.
Love Amanda and Matt

5 comments:

The Nieuwhofs said...

What a day! I can just see you almost crying. I think that maybe you should bake some chocolate chip cookies for that nice man to go with the thank you card.
Here things are pretty much back to normal.
All the best for next week to you both. Love, DAD

Anonymous said...

That was quite a day you had Amanda. I guess you just naturally bring out the best in everyone around you. That man really was a good samaritan to you. It's nice to hear a good news story now and then.
Good luck with your mid terms next week Matt.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend,
Love, Nanny

Dad and Sharon said...

Sounds like quite a day. Did you find out what was wrong with your bank card?? Guess you realy must have a honest face. Nice that there are still people willing to beleive and trust in strangers.
Good luck with your mid terms Matt. Enjoy the icecream and the rest of the week-end.....Love Dad

Karen Nieuwhof said...

Oh Amanda, you're such a good story teller... I was with you as you scraped off that car... I was with you on those crusty roads... shopping up and down the isles... Oh the glorious victory of scoring that last icecream... and I was crying with you at the teller. What an AMAZING man God sent to you in your time of need. If only the world was all like that. What faith! He deserves your wonderful homemade cards and I like your Dad's idea of the cookies (or maybe a muffin or two). Great heart-warming story.
Hope the rest of your week is filled with that kinda love.
And Matt- good luck on your exams.
Love you both, Tante Karen

sugarnuggets said...

Wow, what a nice man! So glad it all worked out.

I'll go with you to the movies!!! What night do you want to go!

Love ya, TT

I got to make cards today...it was good...